HISTORY OF MARIKINA POLYTECHNIC COLLEGE
The College underwent several transformations prior to its present status. The school was first established on July 18, 1947 as the Marikina Junior High School by virtue of Municipal Council Resolution No. 59, s.1947.
On July 18, 1949, the school was renamed Marikina High School since the full four-year secondary general course was offered.
Then, on July 18, 1952, the name of the school was again changed to LeodegarioVictorino Memorial High School in honor of LeodegarioVictorino, the first Marikenian to become Division Superintendent of Schools in the province of Rizal. The school retained its name until its conversion into a National School of Arts and Trades on July 1, 1957 by virtue of Republic Act No. 1586 authored by Rep. Serafin Salvador, Second District of Rizal. The school was then named as Marikina School of Arts and Trades (MSAT).
During the school year 1957-1958, the first year of the Four-Year Secondary Trade Curriculum was started and the first batch of graduates finished in March 1961.
Beginning the school year 1960-1961, the Two-Year Trade Technical Education Curriculum was offered with specializations in Applied Electronics, Industrial Electricity, and Woodworking.
It was during the school year 1961-1962 when the Evening Opportunity Classes were organized to offer vocational courses which were highly in demand for the industries. The areas of specialization offered were: Electronics, Electricity, Machine Shop Practice, and Dressmaking.
In 1962, the SEATO Textile Training Center was put up to provide a pool of textile technicians for the growing textile industry. It offered a One-Year Course in Mill Maintenance and One-Year Special Mechanical Technology.
In 1965, the Philippines-France Pilot Training Center for Electrical Trades was established as an additional curricular offering by virtue of Republic Act No. 4815, sponsored by Congressman Frisco San Juan. It provided a pool of electrical technicians for the electrical industry.
In school year 1967-1968, the Four-Year Teacher Education Program leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education (BSIE) was offered. This was organized to provide the various high schools in the service area with qualified vocational teachers. In the same school year, the Student Services Division and the Research, Evaluation and Development Division were created as supportive divisions to the school. New projects were similarly provided for the service area, namely: Manpower Training Program, Special Training Scheme, School Industry Tie-Up and Placement Program for the graduates of the school.
In Summer 1969, the Graduate Education Program was organized by the Bureau of Vocational Education. The initial graduate education courses were the Master of Education for vocational school administrators and supervisors and the Master of Arts in Teaching for vocational teachers and instructors of technology, Science and Mathematics.
Upon the reorganization of the Department of Education and Culture in 1975, the MSAT Graduate Education Program was included under the Ministry of Education (MEC) Integrated Scholarship Program.
On May 8, 1978, the name of the school was again changed to Marikina Institute of Science and Technology (MIST) by virtue of a Malacañang approval.
In November 1982, some key officials of MIST headed by Supt. Avelino Asuncion were involved in the conceptualization and implementation of the Technical Vocational Education Project (TVEP) of the Philippines. The school was chosen as the National Center for Technical Education and Staff Development (NCTESD) which was one of the components of the project. Aware of the fact that the success in the development of vocational technical education institutes depends largely on an adequate supply of teachers, the school has to perform this role because of its commendable and demonstrated capability and experience in the area of teacher education.
In June 1983, the implementation of the technical vocational education project formally started with the try-out class for the Diploma in Industrial Technician (DIT). In July 1983, the Master of Technician Education (MTE) curriculum was offered with 78 scholars from the 23 Technical Education Institutes (TEIs) of the Philippines. These programs ushered in the full implementation of the other technical vocational education projects.
In 1986, through an Asian Development Bank (ADB) loan and as component of the TVEP, three buildings were constructed, namely: the NCTESD Building, the Ylagan Hall and the Dormitory.
In 1991, the Philippine-Australia Technical and Vocational Education Project (PATVEP) was implemented. Through the project, construction of the shop buildings for electrical, automotive technology and of the electronics and mechanical workshops were undertaken.
In 1993, the Bachelor of Secondary Education (BSE) was offered by virtue of DECS Order No. 3, s. 1993 with fields of specialization in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, English and the different technology areas.
In 1994, the school became a recipient of a donation of some technology equipment from the Australian government through the Department of Education, Culture, and Sports and the PATVEP.
In the same year, the school experienced some changes and transitions in terms of governance and management as a result of the reorganization of the education department as recommended by Education Committee of the House of Senate (EDCOM).
In 1996, DECS transferred the Institute’s supervision to the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) hence, MIST became a CHED-Supervised Institute (CSI). However, in 2000, MIST’s supervision was transferred to the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority (TESDA) in accordance with Special Provision No. 8 of the General Appropriation Act (GAA), FY 2000. The special provision included the phasing out of the baccalaureate degree programs, namely: the Bachelor of Science in Industrial Education and the Bachelor of Secondary Education as well as the Laboratory High School and the Graduate Education Programs. The abolition of the degree programs caused clamor from the people of Marikina City and its neighboring town and cities for the re-opening of the degree courses.
Having realized the educational needs of his constituents, Hon. Congressman Del R. De Guzman of Marikina City sponsored a bill converting the Institute into a State College which was supported by a counterpart bill in the Senate sponsored by Hon. Senator Edgardo Angara.
The bill was finally approved and became a law as Republic Act No. 9289 on April 14, 2004, thus the birth of Marikina Polytechnic College.
In May 2004, Mrs. Yolanda E. Olano, being the Superintendent of the then MIST was designated by the Board of Trustees as the Officer in Charge of the College.
In December 1, 2004, Dr. Manuel R. Pangilinan was appointed as the first President of the College.
In January 2007, Dr. Henry L. Lañada was appointed as OIC-President by virtue of BOT Resolution No. 4 s 2007. His appointment was changed to Acting President on June 18, 2007 through BOT Resolution No. 65, s 2007.
Dr. Lañada assumed office as President of the College in November 2008 by virtue of Board Resolution No. 25, s.2008 after a national search for President of MPC was conducted.
In 2009, through the leadership of Dr. Lañada, the Doctorate program major in Educational Management and Industrial Education Management was offered by virtue of Board Resolution No. 11, s 2009 with an initial enrolment of 25 students.
From 2009-2012, the highest percentage of enrolment was achieved by the College with an increase of 20% per school year. Also, the highest percentage of faculty scholarship grants and employee trainings and seminars for professional development was given.
Dr.Lañada was re-appointed for his second term as President of the College on Dec. 1, 2012 .
During Dr. Lañada’s term, massive development in instruction and infrastructure were done like the construction of the Graduate School Bldg., the IICT Extension Bldg., renovation of Drawing Building, construction of a 3 storey Automotive Extension Bldg., Students Nook 1 and 2 and other repairs and renovations of old buildings. Acquisition of library holdings, equipment and facilities for technology and science has taken place every year.
In December 2012, the College became a recipient of the project proposal to DOST NCR Project for “Upgrading of the Mechanical and Welding Technology.
To date, the College offers both graduate and undergraduate courses. The graduate programs include doctorate and master’s degree major in Educational Management as well as Math, Science, Physics, English and Technology courses.
The undergraduate programs include Bachelor of Technical Teacher Education (BTTE) Program and Bachelor of Industrial Technology (BIT). The BTTE is a four-year degree ladderized program for future teachers of Automotive Technology, Drafting Technology, Electrical Technology, Electronics Technology and Food Service Management. BTTE major in Chemistry, Physics, English and Mathematics are also offered.
The BIT program is also a ladderized four year degree program with the same specialization in Technology courses as that of BTTE. Graduates of this program are qualified to work in industries both as skilled workers and as supervisors.
Further, the College offers a three-year non-degree program which is designed to prepare individuals for employment in the middle level of the manpower structure. Also, special programs which consist of short-term non-credit courses are offered designed for training of semi-skilled workers. The shoe and leathercraftcenter has also been continuously enhanced as one of the College mandate.
In November 17, 2015, Dr. Virginia D. Bacay was designated as the OIC-President through CHED Special Order.